Sunday, June 3, 2007

T-minus 3 days


I'm not really sure where to begin. This picture to the left was taken at a butterfly exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History. So pretty. I leave for D.C. in 3 days (Wednesday!) and then leave finally for Togo on Friday. I'm trying to get all my "stuff" together and throwing out and giving away most of my stuff. Alexia loves her new jacket and shoes and what-not that I at once loved. I have very little to say at this point because the adventure is all about to begin in a week. I'm going to miss everyone and I am fighting not tearing up when I hug someone good-bye. I have been thinking about doing this since I was 16 and it's finally here. I found an old Chemistry lab worksheet from when I was a Nursing major (that's right, this was all after a Studio Art, German and eventually Zoology major) that I got a 9/100 on. My lab "instructor" (I put this word in quotes for a reason) wrote on my sheet, "you can't even subtract correctly" and also "this is really sloppy" and "why are your values different from your lab partner" and "absurd" and "did you even read the lab instructions" and "i can't find even one thing you did correctly except using the unknown I assigned you". I like to keep that lab sheet around to remind myself of how far I have gone and will continue to go. So cheers Mr. Gaines (his name is still on the lab sheet...for memories), here's to you being a scheissee instructor and encouraging me in your very odd way to pursue the unknown that was assigned to me.

No comments: