Thursday, November 27, 2008

I am stubborn.


My Peace Corps experience has truly allowed me to reflect. I am stubborn as I just titled this blog. But, I am also learning that I can not be stubborn if I know I am being stubborn. And I feel like this may just be the secret to my future success. Did I just jinx myself? I also need to work on being less superstitious. But, I would just like to clarify that even though this experience has been challenging, I would never trade it for anything. I have wanted to be a Peace Corps Volunteer since I was 16. And I'm finally in it. To win it. Living in a developing country is not easy and so maybe my previous blogs reflected my frustration or misunderstanding of the culture in Togo. But, isn't this part of the process in being here, living here, eating here, sharting my pants here, crying, giggling, being bored here? So, if I came across as being unhappy or ready to leave, I was just being honest. My emotions are up and down daily, hourly, secondly. At some moments, I am so bored or frustrated that I get a little nutty. At some moments, I am so glad to be here that I can't imagine what it will be like to leave and re-enter what my life was. I am scared to come back. I am scared to stay here for the full 2 years. Will I just fall back into myself? But, I have learned to cope. I have learned to not react immediately to a situation. I have learned to try to understand why someone reacts a certain way to a situation. I am learning patience. I am learning that nothing ever turns out the way you want it to, okay, maybe occassionally it does, but to be okay with it.

As far as work is conerned right now in village, things are going well. I am starting home visit sensibilisations on latrine use (i.e. how to use the EcoSan latrine, washing hands, etc.); I just finished a health coloring book; I am working on introducing solar cooking to my village (CookIt and fruit drying) and am still working with the NGO in Kpalime. I am organizing a small event in my village for World AIDS Day. I am not coming home for Christmas. I am going to Abidjan and Ghana in January. My dream is to go to Morocco before I leave. I hope I haven't cheesed anyone out with this posting. I hope everyone had an awesome Thanksgiving. Later my taters!

4 comments:

My Name is Iosifina said...

And what a grand journey it has been for you, Tig. You explained it well. Living in another country teaches one patience and perspective. What a wonderful experience. We will miss you at Christmas! Yes, I ate extra pumpkin pie for you on Thanksgiving. Love, Mama Tater

Unknown said...

Dear dear antigona!
it's a while now that i'm back in Belgium again... and really, Togo is great again! I miss it so so much. Or I miss something cool like the stuff you are doing in Togo. God my head is still a roller coaster and my friend i'm looking for a place here so you can come over in july!
Keep up the spirits over there and I think of u guys every day!
Lots of love,
griet
( it's the best english that i can write you! haha)

Unknown said...

O did you won the cross? I hope so!

Unknown said...

i am so proud to know you. we are missing you this holiday season, and toasting you often. lovelove from all the magpies girls.